Relic Request Procedure
Storied or Crafted
Storied (1/month), or Crafted (variable/month). If it is a Storied Relic, please include why it is a Relic; what events occurred or what happened to make it a Relic today. If it was something created in the past, or if you are Crafting it; please include the Ingredients that made or are making it a Relic today. These ingredients should have a connection with the Powers that the Relic itself is employing.
When you submit your Relic request, please note in the job if it is
character creation (cgen) are considered storied relics. Players are expected to write up a story for any storied relic, including how the item came to be a relic, and how it came into their possession -- thus the name.
Any relics that are requested during Every relic, like every other supernatural item, is subject to a gut check on the part of staff. If it's technically correct but fails the gut check, staff will try, if possible to suggest alterations so that the relic will work.
- Relic Example - This is a fully thought out, step by step process of the Relic Rules, including crafting, shown below.
Ingredients/Materials/Story: Insert appropriate story here
Name of Relic: Does it have a particular Name, or is it just a pair of Etheric Goggles?
Description: What form does it take, what details are there that make it more than just an ordinary pair of goggles?
Notes: If applicable; weapon stats, size, etc
Power Name: Number of Dots
Description of Power: as you would describe it to someone from the book if they knew nothing about Relics.
Spend: Willpower, Mana, Essence, if any
Roll: If any, or method of activation (putting on a ring, donning a mask, etc)
Duration: Turn/Scene/Successes on Activate
Roll Results: As applicable, including Dramatic Failure, Failure, Success, Exceptional Success
- Repeat from Power Name to Roll Results as necessary
Drawback Name: Negative number of Dots
Description of Drawback: What form it takes, be it Ill Effects, a Derangement, or Vulnerability, as well as how long it lasts.
- Repeat Name/Description as necessary for all Drawbacks taken
The Steps to Success
STEP 1: Explain or Collect Materials
- Creating a Relic requires suitable materials. These could include rare items, even supernatural ones, such as a vampire's fang or a demon's tears. It could make use of a sympathetic connection to something arcane, or might be purely a symbolic item. You can propose these yourself, but staff makes the final call on what is needed or acceptable. You can attempt to shortchange it, which will make creation more difficult, or go above the norm to make things easier. Staff is the final arbiter on what your materials will qualify as.
- As a general rule, any created relic requires two elements, though depending on the materials they needn't necessarily be two different things. The easiest way to think of it is that the materials used need to have some form of mundane sympathy (the knife used by a serial killer, used to craft a relic with harmful properties, for instance), which provides the tinder, and an element of the supernatural (a bit of supernatural power source, a piece of a supernatural creature, even a spell/cantrip/etc being in place on the materials during their creation), which provides the spark. Combined in whatever fashion the Imbuement ritual manifests for your character, these allow you to kindle the powers of the relic you're creating.
- Materials come in the following Qualities, with the following modifiers. As a general rule, Inferior and Acceptable grade materials can be recovered with just an explanation, akin to a Justification. Superior grade materials will almost always require either a PRP to recover, though there can be exceptions. The rating is generally a decision based on the quality of both the above elements viewed together.
- INFERIOR: -2 dice (Imbuement), +2xp Cost, x2 Successes required.
- ACCEPTABLE: +0 dice (Imbuement), +0xp Cost, x1.5 Successes required.
- SUPERIOR: +2 dice (Imbuement), -2xp cost, x1 Successes required.
- See Step 3: Imbuement for base success requirements modified by Materials.
- Round success requirements down.
STEP 2: Crafting
- Creation of the Vessel: Roll made with be Intelligence/Dex + Crafts.Specialty + any bonuses (equipment, etc). Determination of using Intelligence or Dexterity will be based on method and item being made. (making things by hand in a forge is likely to be Dexterity, using automated machinery and 3d printing is likely to be Intelligence).
- Modifiers to this roll include: The usual for Skill rolls.
- Every 10 successes on the Crafting roll adds a +1 bonus to the Imbuement rolls to follow.
- There is no target number. You may make all the crafting rolls allowed to you by your pool.
- Your pool is equal to your Dex/Int + Crafts + Specialty. You may only use one specialty to determine this pool (ie, you may only have 1 extra roll, regardless of how many specialties you have).
- NOTE: Keeping in line with Crafting rolls, each roll made is 1 day's worth of work. This means that you may not be able to make 3 Relics a month if your Crafting times exceed the number of days in that month. A day's worth of work is 8 hours worth of such work. Good Time Management reduces this by 1/2, meaning that making 10 Crafting rolls takes 5 days.
STEP 3: Imbuement Ritual
- Resolve + Occult, 1 roll per base pool (including Specialty if appropriate).
- Modifiers: Crafting Bonus, Materials Bonus, +1 or +2 for place of power.
- +1 for Lesser Magical Nexus
- +2 for Greater Magical Nexus, Hallow, Loci, etc.
- Each roll represents 1 hour of work.
- Base Success Requirements
- 5 successes per dots in the highest cost power the relic has.
- +1 success per additional level 1 or 2 power.
- +2 successes per additional level 3 power.
- +3 successes per additional level 4 or 5 power.
- -X successes, where X is the total dots in Drawbacks.
- Minimum of 5 successes required for any relic.
- Once you hit your target number, you stop rolling.
- Adjust Base Successes As Per Materials, Above:
- INFERIOR: -x2 Successes required.
- ACCEPTABLE: x1.5 Successes required.
- SUPERIOR: x1 Successes required.
- EXAMPLE: A Relic with a 5 dot power (+25 succs), a 3 dot power (+2 succs), and a 2 dot power (+1 succ) with 7 dots in Drawbacks (-7 succs) would require 21 successes at base. With Superior materials, that's a flat 21 successes. With Acceptable materials, it becomes 31 successes, and trying to make such a potent relic with Inferior materials would require 41 successes.
All PC-crafted relics get an xp discount of -1xp per dot. A 1 dot Relic is 1xp, a 5 dot relic is 25 xp.