Logs:Calling Out to the Dark Mother Pt 2

From Fallcoast
Jump to: navigation, search
Calling Out to the Dark Mother Pt 2
Dramatis Personae

Brodie, Nicole, Carson, Isabella (Also as ST)

10 January, 2016


Weird things happen at Leigh's Pool Hall

Location

Leigh's Pool Hall


Since she's a regular fixture at Leigh's Pool Hall, this is the place Nicole naturally suggests. So it is that Team Thorpe rocks up at the hall, with Nic leading the way and calling out a cheerful, "Hey, Rudy! Three beers," as she enters, lifting a hand to blow a kiss to the barman, who seems to recognise her easily enough. Three beers are on the counter by the time the trio arrive there, which Nicole pays for. First round on her, it seems.

Pool. It's definitely something she can do,. It's just simple physics afterall! So the pool hall is almost like a second home when she feels like sharking some guys. But alas, this is not one of those times as she's out with family. Isabella raises a brow at the blown kiss before she lets out a soft chuckle of amusement. "I got the next round, okay?" she says, keeping her purse close as she glances about. Surely, there's a cute guy around to flirt with that isn't related to her. Maybe.

It doesn't seem Brodie is much of a stranger to the place. Not that he's much of a stranger to anywhere that serves alcohol, except maybe the strip clubs. He steps up to the counter and picks up one of the beers, giving a familiar nod to the bartender. It doesn't seem he's going to argue with free alcohol. He turns around and leans back against the bar, looking out across the pool hall unfortunately with a cop's eye. There's an elbow that finds its way to Brodie's side or arm. Nicole leans in to murmur, "Off duty, Brode." That said, she scoops up her beer and meanders over to the pool table, snagging three cues on the way. "Cut-throat pool alright with you two?" she suggests, the phrasing suggesting that's the name of a particular game rather than an invitation to hustle.

A wry grin curls onto her lips as she waggles her brows. "Of course it is!" Isabella says with a n excited grin as she picks up her beer and takes a quick swig. "I made a bunch of classmates cry when they thought I didn't know what I was doing." she quips, snickering softly. "Hope you've brought your A-game." she says, before heading towards one of the tables to setup up the rack.

At that moment, the sound of a clock gonging can be heard. For the briefest moments, everything in the pub goes dark, nothing can be seen. It feels like it's forever, even though it's just a split second, but when vision is restored, it's clear that something is wrong.

The patrons, with the exception of the trio of Thorpe/Butterses is frozen. They're not frozen in the ice sense, but petrified, looking like marble statues. Whatever patrons were doing right before the sudden vision loss is frozen in time.

Things remain dark outside though. Other than the lights turned on from other buildings, a full moon shines down brightly in the city. It was still daytime when they left for the bar, right?

Brodie looks at the pool table with a slight shake of his head, looking on the verge of refusing before letting out a long sigh. He pushes off the bar and makes his way over towards where the pool cues are lined up, reaching out to take one just as the room goes dark. He stops and turns about, examining the room once the lights come back up. "Oh for fuck's sake." He seems more bothered than worried at the moment, which might explain a few things about his general attitude. He doesn't move much from where he's standing, only looking carefully around the room.

Standing stock still, Nicole blinks a few times, taking a slow breath and looking around the room to see if anything /changed/ about the people in here, or what they're doing. Brodie will see her eyes flash gold-red for a moment, as well as a mist-like web of plasm surround her briefly before vanishing. "Brode? Issy? You guys okay?"

There's a faint tingle down her spine, and Isabella glances about, looking rather wary. She nosewrinkles and lets out a sigh of relief upon hearing her cousins' voices. That means they weren't petrified. Nosewrinkling, she reaches for her iPhone and starts recording things around them as she nods. "I'm fine." she says, eerily calm for the most part as she meanders on over to the window, glancing about.

Outside, there were people frozen midwalk, midrun, or whatever the heck they were doing. Everything around them seems less... clear though. It's almost as if all the objects around them are there, but not fully there, making it a pale imitation of the original. It's weird if anything.

Then suddenly, the sound of a young woman shrieking in horror can be heard just outside as she whizzes on by the window.

The shriek caught her off guard enough to where it knocks Isabella flat on her butt. "WHAT THE FUCK!"

Brodie takes a few cautious steps before he walks around the room more normally, reaching out to pick up something, almost unsure if he can manage it. But he pauses in mid grabs as he hears the scream coming from outside. And then his training kicks in before his sense of caution and he goes bolting towards the door of the pool hall. Leading with his shoulder, he makes an attempt to go busting right through the door towards where the scream came from, if the door even manages to work in this half-world.

Nicole is seconds after Brodie, following his lead out through the door and grabbing a pool cue as she goes. Sure, as weapons go it's pretty /awful/, but it's better than nothing. Right? Right.

> Nicole to Here <====================================================

   Rolled 0 Success 
   < 1 2 4 6 6 7 >

======================================> Wits + Composure [No Flags] <

> Brodie to Here <====================================================

   Rolled 0 Success 
   < 1 1 3 4 5 6 >

=======================================> Wits + Composure [9-Again] <

> Isabella to Here <==================================================

   Rolled 2 Successes 
   < 2 3 4 6 9 9 >

======================================> Wits + Composure [No Flags] <

Fortunately, the doors and other things work normally. The streets are littered with statues frozen in time with the exception of the panicked young brunette running frantically past the group. She doesn't seem to have registered that there are others like her, tha can actually move in this crazy goings on.

For her part, Isabella continues to record things with her phone. This is definitely some interesting phenomena, and it has to be related to the videos that a certain someone had posted before. She might as well add more to the collection as she's completely lost in the moment, documenting as much as she can. It's fascinating afterall, even if it wasn't completely ridiculous.

As the other two head out, her eyes widen as she follows behind them. It seems that the source of the terror in the young woman is caught on camera.

"Guys...you might want to turn around."

And she points. Just like the videos that have been posted in the past, a few black shadowy blobs crawl on the ground, their shadowy inky tentacles flailing about, ignoring those frozen. However, there's also three others that seem to be viable targets.

> Brodie to Here <====================================================

   Rolled 1 Success 
   < 1 2 4 5 7 7 10 >

=======================================> Wits + Composure [9-Again] <

> Nicole to Here <====================================================

   Rolled 2 Successes 
   < 1 4 5 5 6 8 10 >

======================================> Wits + Composure [No Flags] <

> Isabella to Here <==================================================

   Rolled 3 Successes 
   < 1 1 3 4 8 9 10 >

========================================> Gnosis + Prime [No Flags] <

> Isabella to Here <==================================================

   Rolled 2 Successes 
   < 2 4 7 8 8 >

=================================> Intelligence + Occult [No Flags] <

Brodie turns around on his heel to stare at the group of shadowy blobs approaching. "That's... different." He shifts his leg a little. The flask is always there, but it feels good to reassure himself. He holds up his hand towards one of the shadows but isn't about to attack yet. No he's just getting ready in case the things actually decide to attack. He takes a short step backwards, he can't help himself, but his face remains set in a stoic glare. "I think this is going to turn ugly, call it a hunch."

"No kidding," Nicole agrees, wielding the pool cue in a defensive manner, glancing the way Brodie is but turning more to face behind him, covering all angles between the two of them. "I think Lynneth said they shot the ones they saw at the asylum. Got a piece on you?" Nic, sadly, does not.

"Acamoth." It's uttered under her breath, though definitely within ear shot of her cousins. Isabella tapped the screen of her iPhone a few times as she stares at the inky blobs that were quickly approaching them. She nosewrinknles and starts taking a few steps back, not quite sure what to do, cause surely, her cousins are Sleepers and any magic would just blow up in her face, right?

As the trio remain right outside the bar, it seems that most people have turned into statues of themselves. Three inky shadowy blobs are approaching the group, slowly but surely. They have yet to make any threatening movements for the most part, while the girl who ran on by continues to run away.

Still, in the corner of Nicole and Brodie's peripheral vision, they can see a tall blonde man standing on one of the roofs. Clearly, he hasn't turned into a statue, and he sneers down upon the trio before running from rooftop to rooftop, clearly intent on following the girl who ran on by, screaming in terror.

> Brodie to Here <====================================================

   Rolled 4 Successes 
   < 1 1 1 1 2 2 3 3 3 5 5 6 6 8 9 9 10 >

====================> Strength + Stealth.Rage + Rage + 3 [No Flags] <

Carson pauses of course, right outside the bar, given the fact that he was on his way in. A brow quirks with mild surprise, but perhaps not as much as would be expected. He peers in, spying the petrified patrons. The well-tailored gentleman proceeds to withdraw a pewter flask from his suit pocket, imbibing, having figured out that he probably won't be getting served anytime soon. Afterwards he glances towards the three. "So which one is the basilisk?" he inquires. "The blonde or the brunette?"

Brodie shifts his gaze to the man that catches his periferal vision. Sneering right back up at the man. "FPD! Halt!" The call comes out more out of habit than necessity. He takes a few running steps in that direction but brings himself up short, turning back towards his two cousins and the shadows in front of him. It's clear he's trying to decide which is more important and settles on defending his family. He looks towards one of those crawling shadows and there's just a slight narrowing of his eyes as he lashes out with a dart of invisible plasm towards one of those shadows.

If Brodie isn't going to pursue, then Nicole is. She knows at least that Brodie can take care of himself - and by extension Isabella - and so she heads off after the fleeing woman and the man running after her at a flat run, putting every ounce of effort into catching up. She still has her pool cue, though thus far it's proven fairly useless.

> Isabella to Here <==================================================

   Rolled 1 Success 
   < 2 3 4 5 6 6 7 9 >

=======================================> Gnosis + Forces [No Flags] <

The anger and rage that welled up focused into the dart ravages through one of the inky blobs. It lets out a shriek of pain before it stops moving, causing it to melt into nothingness. One down, two to go.

That definitely cause a shiver to be sent up and down her spine, and as such, her brows quirk when she looks towards Brodie. Not quite sure what else to do, she blinks as Carson speaks up. There was another person that wasn't all frozenified by the whole thing? Isabella presses the screen of her iPhone once more. Not quite sure if Brodie had any protective shielding, she weaves an unseen shield around him, focusing her will through her phone before she blinks at Carson. "Uh, stay inside? It's not safe out here." Clearly she hasn't superheroed before, so she doesn't know what to do.

In the meantime, the blonde ignores the call to stop. Why would he heed the warning afterall? He's in hot pursuit of the brunette as they are almost a block and a half away at this point. He grumbles something under his breath as he stops and falls onto his knees and clutches his head. He lets out a loud scream as he clutches his temples and blood trickles down from his fingertips. His eyes widen as he stares up at the sky which causes more shadowy ink creatures to appear one by one, though they remain completely motionless for now.

> Brodie to Here <====================================================

   Rolled 5 Successes for an exceptional success.
   < 1 2 3 3 3 3 4 6 6 6 7 7 8 8 10 10 10 >

=======================> Strength + Brawl + Rage + 3 - 1 [No Flags] <

Brodie's pateince with the shadows are at an end, he reaches out with his hand towards one and it wrenches backwards as if some invisble creature grabbed it around its formless neck and is slowly squeezing. He has not time to deal with the random guy he doesn't know, nor with the comments, he's too busy worried about the things coming there way. He raises his voice high enough, hopefully to reach the blonde man. "Back off, I'm starting to lose my damn patience." And he sounds like it to.

Carson swivels his head, his dark grey eyes darting between the fleeing man and the approaching blobs. At Isabella's instruction, he glances back into Leigh's, his brow furrowing. "Pardon my saying, but getting hemmed up inside doesn't seem particularly safe. I'll leave you to... whatever you're doing with that phone," he replies to Isabella. With that, he returns the flask to his suit pocket and glances up, ensuring that he has some clearance. A pair of inky raven's wings extends from his back, apparently through neatly cut incisions in the double vents of his suit and the shirt underneath. He vaults into the air, the wings flapping heavily to gain altitude, and then turns, gliding leisurely south and away from the approaching blobs.

Wishing she'd focused more on cardio in her workouts, Nic pushes onwards, booted feet pounding sidewalk as she ducks between and around frozen statues of people in pursuit of the running woman.

> Isabella to Here <==================================================

   Rolled 2 Successes 
   < 1 4 10 10 >

===============================================> Paradox [No Flags] <

Game: Isabella takes 2 Bashing damage.

> Isabella to Here <==================================================

   Rolled 3 Successes 
   < 1 2 2 3 4 4 4 4 6 7 10 10 10 >

===============================> Gnosis + Forces + 3 - 1 [No Flags] <

Clearly, there's supernatural activity about. The pure rage of Brodie strikes true, as there's another ack and shriek from the shadow as it starts to gag. Even inky black shadow monsters need to breath, and as its breathe is being literally sucked away by the vacuum, it stops its tracking, leaving only the third to go after the cop.

Still, the sudden sprouting of wings definitely catches Isabella off guard. She blinks as she looks up and captures that on her iPhone as well. there's just so much to document afterall! Her eyes widen as she bites her lips and nosewrinkles as she hears the blonde man screaming in pain and anguish and the resulting shadows that start to appear. With the man gone, and considering her cousin is clearly doing something, she just grumbles under her breath, "Fuck it."

It's already chilly outside, but the air around the young Butters gets considerably colder. The condesation of her breathing can be seen as icicles start to form at her feet. Her nimbus is in full flare, taking in the ambient heat of her surrounding, and for those who have an ear for such things, the dulcet tones of an angelic choir humming in the background can be heard. She's doing her best Elsa impression as more icicles rise from the ground before she points her iPhone towards the shadow inky mass. As her nose starst dripping blood, a blast of pure radiation strikes true, slowing down the growth, but not stopping it fully, only slowing it down.

The blonde continues to scream in agony though the sudden bright radiation flash causes him to stop as he glares down at the two Thorpe-Butterses. He spies Nicole continuing to pursue his quarry and he rushes off, leaving a trail of dripping blood in his tracks.

> Brodie to Here <====================================================

   Rolled 6 Successes for an exceptional success.
   < 1 1 1 2 2 3 4 4 4 5 7 7 8 8 8 9 10 10 >

====================> Strength + Stealth.Rage + Rage + 3 [No Flags] <

The one poor shadow in the invisible grasp of the Speakeasy Lady is now no longer his concern. And that other one still coming would be good to take out, but then a big bad reveals itself. Brodie's blue eyes dart back and forth between the smaller and larger shadow things, trying to decide which is more important to take out. Not that Isabella's antics escape his notice either, he just has more important concerns at the moment, and even more, not the weirdest shit he's seen. He turns towards the bigger of the two shadows, extending his hand slightly. Once more there's nothing to see, not from the distilled anger of the Stillness Rage. Just a sharp wrenching of power coursing through the internals of the creature. No flash, no pizzaz. Just ure death as the being loses all cohesiveness and melts into an inky puddle. "Bastard."

Discretion is the better part of valor, even for inky black shadow creatures. It's features change for a bit before it lets out a squeak as it sees it's much bigger 'cousin' get demolished with combined might of the Thorpes geist and mage. It lets out a squeak and simply disappears into the darkness from which it came from, leaving the two with no more immediate threats, at least for now.

Still, the streets if not the whole city remains changed. Wiping the blood from her nose, Isabella blinks and stares at her cousin for a few moments as the cold air from her nimbus finally dies down. Knowing that the immediate area is no longer at close to absolute zero, she bites down on her bottom lip and points at where the large inky mass used to be. "WHAT. WAS. THAT. You were force choking the shit out of that thing, Vader!"

"Are you alright?" Brodie still sounds a little peeved, but its not directed at his cousin, he does seem genuinely concerned about her wellbeing. Nor does he ask about that blast she unleased. He does blink a few times, peering between her and the remains of the larger one, pursing his lips slightly. "I killed it." Yeah, that's not an answer. The one in the choke finally lets out a screech and breaks apart into goo. He lets out a small sigh and shakes his head. "Yeah, okay, kinda looks like that, but it isn't." Totally is.

"I'll be fine." she says, taking in a long and dep breath to regain her bearings a bit as she nosewrinkles. Isabella runs her fingers through her hair, looking in the direction that Nicole ran in as she bites on her bottom lip. "You totally weren't phased by what happened. This happen often for you?"

"Well, uh.." Brodie looks up and down the street, especially in the direction Nicole ran. "I guess it happens often enough. Weird shit. This is fairly new." He twsits about once more. "At least I don't think its dimension hoping this time." And he says that with a totally serious deadpan, how can he not actually mean it. "We should probably go check on Nicole." He looks over to Isabella and then starts to walk in the direction Nicole went in, waiting for his cousin to catch up before going into a jog.

Glancing about, Isabella starts to jog behind him, not quite sure where their other cousin went. Still, it's not that long before suddenly everything turns back to normal. It's daytime once again, people are moving as if nothing happened and that just leaves her a bit dumbfounded. "Uh..."

Brodie comes to a complete stop as the world suddenly grinds back into motion, squinting against the sudden glare of light. "Well, shit." He turns about, looking around him as if looking for anything out of the ordinary. One of the passerbys give him a dirty look at his cussing on the street, so he just flips the man off and turns back to Isabella. "We should probably get back, maybe Nicole will meet up with us?"

Isabella hrmms for a few moments, nodding in agreement afterwards. "Yeah, we should check up on everyone." she offers, pulling out her phone to send out several texts to see who else might've experienced it.

Brodie rubs the back of his neck and pulls out his own phone, checking the screen rather than sending out anything. He shakes his head. "Nothing. Must have been localized." He turns towards the pool hall and sends off one quick text before slipping the phone back in his pocket.

Isabella hrmms for a few moments as she nosewrinkles and moves closer. Barely above a whisper, she coughs and lets out a nervous chuckle. "So uh, the thing I did. That stays between us, yeah?"

"I know how to keep my mouth shut. As long as you keep me going Sith Lord on the things to yourself." Brodie shows his nerd flag for a moment before tucking it back away. Another text is shot off after his phone buzzes alerting him to a response. "I know some people I need to talk to about this, I'll keep your involvement hush-hush. Some of them are a bit squeemish when it comes to the supernatural, but they're useful." He gets back to Leigh's and holds the door open for Issy.

Isabella nods as she takes in a long and deep breath. She knows better than to press for answers as to what he is. She didn't feel magic,but she felt something else. "Well then, I guess we should finish up our beers?" and with that she steps on inside.