- Retainer - When purchasing a retainer, players may choose a number of skills for the retainer equal to their level. These are the retainers areas of expertise. When making rolls with these skills, a retainer rolls their Level x 2 dice. For all other rolls, they roll their rating instead. For resistance purposes, retainers are considered to have attributes equal to their Level-1, minimum 1. Retainers do not possess Merits or Experience Points. Any gear a retainer uses has an equipment and a damage rating of 0. Any increase in the retainers level adds an appropriate number of skills and recalculated dice pools.
- Supernatural Retainers - A character may choose to assign mentors a minor supernatural template at no extra cost. A character may have no more supernatural retainers than their Supernatural Resistance Trait. Characters without a supernatural resistance trait are limited to their highest Social Attribute. A retainer may be assigned an appropriate minor supernatural power as a skill, with an activation roll equal to Retainer x2. All available supernatural retainers are outlined below.
- Retainer Powers - Retainers can chose up to 1/2 of their level in powers, replacing skills for each purpose. Powers that are rolled are rolled with a dice pool of Level x 2. Powers that provide a dice bonus (or penalty) provide 1/2 rating, rounded up, as a bonus (or penalty). Retainers may only ever have one class of power. A retainer may not be a Ghoul AND a Thaumaturge, or a Thaumaturge AND a psychic.
- Languages - Retainers are assumed to speak English. If you chose Academics as a skill, you may assign your retainer languages equal to their Dice Pool (Level x2).
- Example: Danny Daeva wants a retainer that is a good both socially and physically. He buys a level 5 retainer, and designates it is a ghoul. This gives Danny 5 levels of skills or powers to assign. Danny chooses Awe, Vigor, Brawl, Persuasion, and Celerity. When rolling Persuasion, Rochelle Retainer rolls 10 dice. When rolling brawl, she rolls 13 dice, because it is a chosen skill AND she has Vigor. Her defense would be 4, with an additional -3 to hit from Celerity. When using the Awe power, Rochelle has 10 dice.
Only Ferals may take a Beast- Kin retainer. This retainer has the Beast-Kin merit. This retainer cannot have any other minor template.
Only changelings can have an ensorcelled/enchanted or fae-touched retainer. This is an exception to the rule of no pledging NPC's, the pledge will offer no other bonuses. This retainer cannot have any other minor template.
Only Vampires may take a Ghoul as a retainer. Ghouls chose discipline powers based on the player initially purchasing the retainer. This retainer cannot have any other minor template.
Any Possessed retainer requires permission from Possessed staff. This retainer cannot have any other minor template.
Only mages may take a Proximus retainer, subject to mage staff approval. They chose powers based on the associated proximus family. This retainer cannot have any other minor template.
Any character may take a psychic as a retainer. This retainer cannot have any other minor template.
Only mages may take a Sleepwalker retainer. This retainer has the sleepwalker merit. This retainer cannot have any other minor template.
Any character may take a thaumaturge as a retainer. This retainer cannot have any other minor template.
Only werewolves and wolfblooded may take a Wolfblooded Retainer. They have the wolfblooded merit equal to their retainer level, minimum 2, maximum 4. This retainer cannot have any other minor template.