These clarifications specifically apply to the Werewolf and Changing Breeds spheres. If Purified or Mage would like to adapt them, they are welcome to as per their TL's decisions.
Note/Update This page in no way supersedes, changes, or modifies individual Sphere rules for the Creation of Fetishes. These are reminders and updates that are aimed, primarily, at the Werewolf sphere. Other Spheres may have restrictions on their Creation rules that are not covered below.
Creating a Fetish
First thing in creating a Fetish - The Concept. Do not think of the mechanics, the points, or anything else other than the most generic. I want a Fetish to make me fly. I want a Fetish that makes me better at punching. I want a fetish that turns people's teeth green. Once you have that basic concept down, you can move on to the nitty gritty.
- Refer to Lore of the Forsaken, pg. 138 for the Point System. We will not be reprinting it here. If you need help, ask!
Finally. Story. Fetishes are not isolated items. They have a specific Spirit inside them. There should be a story behind this! That is why the XP Discount for PC crafted fetishes is in play - To help create that story and fix it in your mind. Even if you bypass that discount and simply buy the Fetish outright, think about the story behind it. It will give more depth and life to the Fetish.
Key Things to Remember
- Activation Rolls:
- The Level of the Fetish is a Penalty to the Harmony roll. So a level 2 fetish is -2 to the Harmony Roll
- If you are a Shifter, it is Harmony - Level of Fetish roll or Spending 1 Essence.
- If you are Purified, it is Power + Finesse - Level of Fetish roll or Spending 1 Essence.
- If you are a Mage, It's a Gnosis + Spirit - Level of Fetish roll.
- If your fetish has the additional cost Restriction, then that cost is above and beyond that. So it would be a your Roll and 1 Essence, or 2 Essence.
- If you cannot spend 2 essence in one turn, and choose to spend essence to activate, it will take 2 rounds.
- Activation Times: All Fetishes as standard are an Instant Action to activate. There is an Enhancement that can make it Reflexive. You might want that for combat fetishes.
- Successive Rolls: Each successive roll to activate a Fetish within a scene incurs a -1 penalty, stacking, to each roll. This is on top of any penalty from the Fetish's rank, and continues for the duration of the scene. Essence can still be used to activate a Fetish, unless a Dramatic Failure has been rolled.
- All Klaives must have either the Minor or Greater Power.
- This entry is required for any melee weapon that you wish to be able to use in Gauru form. This is what a Klaive is, a Uratha forged Fetish Weapon that can be used with Weaponry in Gauru form. You can indeed have other powers bound into the weapon, but that power is required to make such a weapon a Klaive.
- You cannot use a Klaive with Fighting Styles in Gauru
- Fighting Finesse and Klaives still cannot be used in Gauru form. Strength is the primary method for attack, there is too much Rage to do things in a finesse manner
- All Klaives are Fetish Weapons. Not all Fetish Weapons are Klaives. A club made of an iron pole ripped from a building is not a Klaive. Guns and Bows cannot be Klaives.
- All Talens must have the Talen Restriction
- Talens made for yourself must come out to 30 points or less after all enhancements and restrictions are applied.
- Talens made for someone else must come out to 20 points or less after all enhancements and restrictions are applied.
- You may only have a number of Talens equal to your Power stat at any given time.
- Talens that have doses, such as Decay Dust or Ghost Salt, get as many doses as successes on the Crafts roll to fashion the Talen. This does not require the Extra Uses enhancement. (Tribes p. 72)
- They cannot have the Tattoo Enhancement
- They cannot have the Restricted Number of Uses Restriction
- Named/Book Talens often have a duration specified in the description, this trumps house rules in most cases.
- Custom Talens will be single use only unless they have the Extra Uses or Multiple Uses enhancement.
- They can last 1 month unused at which point they expire and the spirit is released.
- Exceptional Successes with Talen creation allows an unused talon to be kept longer than 1 month with the weekly spending of 1 Essence.
- Fetishes are limited in size from 0-5.
- Fetishes naturally last for a Scene once activated, unless they have a Restriction
- Fetishes are capped at 50 points after all powers, enhancements and restrictions are added together. All of those 55 point powers are examples of existing fetishes with 5 point restrictions included.
- Lodge Fetish:
- If you are a member of a Lodge that gives you a fetish, you get it for free.
- If the lodge description says something along the lines of "May be given xxx upon joining" then you can purchase that for half the merit dot cost.
- These are Guidelines staff uses when creating a fetish.
- Fetishes will never have a separate roll to activate its power.
- The strength of a power (if it needs a strength value) will always be determined by the activation roll, or 1 success if you spend to activate it instead of rolling.
- You may need a second roll to interpret the power (Such as in Aura vision, or prophetic visions) but never to determine how effective the power is.
- Fetishes rely on the power of the Spirit within - NOT your Primal-Urge, Feral-Heart, Chi, or Gnosis score. Only in VERY rare cases will this come into effect - more often than not it will be the success made on the activation roll that determine the strength of the roll.
- EXCEPTIONS TO ABOVE: It has been found that there are numerous exceptions to these two rules in the books. Numerous. Therefore, it is possible to make use of such things, but it will be very rare to do so. Very rare, and the pass on the gut check will be more difficult.
The Gut Check
Whenever a Fetish comes in the door, Staff will review it. If they feel it is too powerful, even if it is perfectly legal by the rules, they reserve the right to deny that incarnation. Taking on a few more Restrictions is a good way to get it approved. Fetishes that are powerful should have powerful drawbacks.
Purchasing a Fetish can be done in one of two ways:
- Buy it straight out for the full cost and acquire via PrP
- Have it PC crafted. Fetishes crafted by PCs will have their cost reduced by the level of the fetish. EG:
- a 1-dot PC-crafted fetish will be 1 xp, a 5 dot PC-crafted fetish will be 25 xp.
- Talens and Fetishes of Rank 1-3 may be crafted without scenes.
- Fetishes of Rank 4 and 5 require PrPs for negotiating with the powerful spirits that will be empowering the fetish.
Minor and Major Chiminage restrictions are somewhat notorious to understand. here are a few simple rules.
- It is never Essence. Essence from a werewolf is bland, untastey, and with no Resonance. Chiminage is specific to a spirit looking for Essence created from something that rings with Resonance it enjoys.
- It is never multiple things. Chiminage (Either major or minor) is always a single thing presented to the fetish. Spending a day running around with a sock on your head is not chiminage. The Essence generated in this manner is free floating available to any spirit that comes by. That's no good to the Fetish. Hunting down prey and then presenting that kill to the fetish? Thats good.
- Minor is easy to obtain. If it doesn't cost significant Resources, danger, or rarity, its worth 5 points. The eyeball of an honorably defeated foe has been one of my favorite Major chiminage's of late, to give an example.
- 90% of the time, you have to present the chiminage after every time you use the fetish before you can use it again. Until you present that Chim, you cannot use the fetish. This is sort of on an Honor system, but if staff does find you violating this, you may have your fetish taken away from you at the least.
- The other 10% of the time its a weekly thing. This is rare and not very often. I do not prefer this method, but sometimes it thematically fits the fetish. The fetish works whenever as many times as you want it to work, as long as within the last week you have performed your chiminage. Forget to, and it stops working until you do again.
- Wolfblood Fetishes are special. They cannot be above Level 2 when all the points are calculated. (No more than 20 points after all Powers, Enhancements, and Restrictions) They cannot take Extra Cost: (Essence) Restrictions. They are considered 'Always Awake' which means they can be sensed by many different things (Unseen Senses, Mages, even Werewolves can sense the Active Spirit Within)
- They are restricted to level 2 or less
- This does not mean they are always on. Their power still needs to be activated. That is done by invoking the Ban of the Spirit within, forcing it to invoke its preprogramed ability.
- This is a -2 to all Fetish creation rolls when making a Wolfblood Fetish.
Wolfblooded Fetish Levels
- Talens Require Wolfblooded (••+)
- Fetish (•) Requires Wolfblooded (•••+)
- Fetish (••) Requires Wolfblooded (••••+)
Wolfblood Fetish +Notes
- Wolfblooded Fetishs need to be noted as being always awake. If your fetish is not noted on you in that manner? See a sphere staffer immediately to get it done.
Fetish Submission Guide
- If you are purchasing a fetish not PC created, submit your request via +xpreq. Make sure you set up your +note as shown below.
- If you are creating a fetish for another player please submit a +req/equip
- Detail in the job the fetish, who you are making it for (You may +myjob/cc them in on the job), modifiers that will effect your creation ritual. Include any spirit research rolls to this job.
- Once all the modifiers have been confirmed by staff you can make your extended creation roll.
Custom Fetish +Notes
- Custom Fetishes will be noted on you in the following manner, please also submit them in the same manner, for ease of purpose.
+note me/Fetish - (Name)=
+ points - First fetish Power
+ points - Other Fetish powers if any
+ points - Any Enhancements
- points - Any Restrictions
Roll: (Appropriate Roll) - Fetish Level (+ Extra Cost) / Spend 1 Essence (+ Extra Cost)
Action: (Instant, Reflexive with Enhancement, Extended with Restriction)
Duration: (Scene, or longer with Enhancement, shorter with Restriction)
Book Fetish +Notes
- Book Fetishes will be noted with the description from the book and the page number. They will also include usually the Roll, Action, and Duration for easy reference. Example:
+note me/Fetish - Crone’s Axe=
Fetish Name: Crone’s Axe
Fetish Level: Rank 3
Book Description: This axe is constructed from an arm-length wooden haft and set with a wide, flat blade at the top, crafted in the Celtic style. The Crone’s Axe features carved runes on the blade; iconography of Morrigan, the raven spirit of war. When activated, the axe emits a screeching, howling series of cries and caws, sounding like a flock of ravens and a woman dying in agony. The sound rings in the ears and minds of the axe-bearer’s foes at painful volume, hurting and disorientating anyone nearby who regard the wielder as an enemy, causing a –1 penalty to all Mental and Social rolls for the rest of the scene.
Roll: Harmony - 3, OR 1 Essence
Reference: Shadows of the UK pg. 98
Additional Powers and Clarifications
These are additional powers, enhancements, and restrictions on top of what is found in the book.
Level 1 Powers (+10 Points)
- Advantage: ±2 modifier to an Advantage, such as Defense, Speed, Initiative or Health (Health levels can only be added to). Stackable 2 times max.
- Armor: ±2 armor points to be divided between general and ballistic (2/0, 1/1, 0/2). This is stackable to a max of 5 times.
- Armor Piercing: ±1 modifier to armor piercing. Stackable 3 times max.
- Defense Penalty: ±2 modifier to the defense penalty of armor.
- Ephemeral Ammo: Create ammunition of appropriate type or caliber in minimum amounts (12 arrows, listed clip size for non extended magazine) with damage -1 of normal.
- Toxicity: ±1 modifier to toxicity rating. Stackable 5 times max.
- Weapon Damage: ±1 modifier to a weapon’s base damage. Stackable 5 times max.
Level 2 Powers (+20 Points)
- Improved Ephemeral Ammo: Create ammunition that can take on 'subtype'. (bodkin, broadhead, frangible, hollow point, AP). They can not be material 'type' (silver, iron). Damage is -1 of normal.
- Initiative: ±4 modifier to Initiative
- Minor Gift: An appropriate rank 1 Gift.
- Offensive Effects: These items affect others in a limited way but only work if a reflexive contested roll fails. Examples: Stun, Temporary Blindness, Knockback. This effect can only happen a limited amount of times.
- Skill Nine-Again: 9-again to one specific skill or one specific roll (such as Harmony).
- Upgrade or Downgrade Damage: The power allows a blunt weapon to inflict lethal damage, or a bladed weapon to inflict blunt damage.
Level 3 Powers (+30 Points)
- Attribute Nine Again: 9-again to one specific attribute.
- Medium Gift: An appropriate rank 2 Gift.
- Skill Eight Again: 8-again to one specific skill or one specific roll (such as Harmony).
- Non-Combat Rote: This allows one specific non-combat task to be performed as a Rote Action.
Level 4 Powers (+40 Points)
- Essence Draining: The power drains Essence, which is lost to the fetish, from an opponent with an Essence Pool equal to activation successes. Once activated, a successful attack (for a weapon fetish), or a successful touching of the Target (WoD pg. 154) triggers this ability which can be resisted by the opponents Power Stat or Spirit Rank, whichever is higher.
Level 5 Powers (+55 Points)
- Essence Transfer: The power siphons Essence from an opponent with an Essence Pool to the users essence pool equal to activation successes. Once activated, a successful attack (for a weapon fetish), or a successful touching of the Target (WoD pg. 154) triggers this ability which can be resisted by the opponents Power Stat or Spirit Rank, whichever is higher.
Minor Enhancements (+5 Points)
- Extra Uses: Talen Only. The talen has one extra use before it expires. This can be stacked two times max.
Major Enhancements (+10 Points)
- Multiple Uses: Talen Only. With this enhancement talens can be used at any time during one month. At the end of the month they expire. They cannot be extended past their 1 month duration with the expenditure of Essence.
Minor Restrictions (-5 Points)
- Extra Cost: 1 Lethal Damage
- Minor Flaw: Gain a minor mental or social flaw for scene.
Major Restrictions (-10 Points)
- Extra Cost: 1 Aggravated Damage
- Major Flaw: Gain a minor/major mental or social flaw for day.
- Blood Tithe: The user must cause (10-Harmony or Morality) lethal damage with the fetish before deactivation. If insufficient damage was caused, the wielder is damaged for the balance when combat ends, This can not fill the rightmost health box with aggravated. Weapon fetishes only.
- Restricted Number of Uses: Power can only be activated once a week.
Superior Restrictions (-20 Points)
- Superior Blood Tithe: The user must cause (10+Fetish Level-Harmony or Morality) lethal damage with the fetish before deactivation. If insufficient damage was caused, the wielder is damaged for the balance when combat ends, This can not fill the rightmost health box with aggravated. Weapon fetishes only.
- Restricted Number of Uses: Power can only be activated once a month.
- Yes. +2 or +4 powers may be specifically applied to specific Task Rolls... such as Ritual Harmony rolls.
- The Level 5 power that Ignores all common defenses will apply to only one type of defense - Magical Resistance, Magical Armor, Mundane Armor, or Defense. It will be looked at with a very critical eye.
- Unless otherwise stated, the same powers that do the same thing are not stackable (That is, you can not have two level 10 powers that both give +2 to the same skill). Power wise the same power does not stack from multiple fetishes either (That is, two fetishes with +2 to the same skill will not give you +4)
- Dodge, is not an acceptable Roll target like Harmony.
- Gifts of Rank 3, 4 and 5 are Restricted/Not Permitted. Gifts of Rank 1 and 2 are permitted as mirrored effects in Fetishes with Auspice and other restrictions still in effect. Fetish Power is +10 higher than the rank of the Gift. (+30 for a rank 2 Gift)
- The Minor enhancement of Time is intended for powers that are instant in duration.
- The same restriction that does the same thing for the same point cost, is not stackable (That is, you cannot have two Extra Cost: 1 Essence for a total of +2 essence and -10 points)