When God desires to destroy a thing, he entrusts its destruction to the thing itself. Every bad institution of this world ends by suicide.
You, yourself, this whole big drama, it was never more than a jury-rig of presumption and dumb will, and you could just let go. To finally know that you didn't have to hold on so tight. To realize that all your life, all your love, all your hate, all your memories, all your pain, it was all the same thing. It was all the same dream, a dream that you had inside a locked room, a dream about being a person. And like a lot of dreams, there's a monster at the end of it.
– Rust Cohle, True Detective
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.
– Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club
The Human Beyond the Wolf
A native son of Fallcoast, Jackson Wilkes grew up white trash in government housing. His father was absent from his life, and he had two brothers (Stephen and Alexander), both of which wound up criminals. When he was a kid, he used to break into construction sites and trash them. He never got picked up, and hung out with a pretty large group of people - more or less outcast kids in high school. He apparently did well enough in school to graduate a year early, class of 2005.
After that, he wound up going to Reed College in Portland, Oregon. Got his Bachelor's of Science in Parks and Recreation and a second Bachelor's of Arts in Law. He was park police in Portland for a good while, switching between parks after his first year on the job. He disappeared from the face of the earth about three years later, turning up in Los Angeles, where he seemed to be some kind of transient.
Whatever happened, Jackson got back on with the United States Parks and Recreation Police service and picked up a job in Fallcoast, where he works as park police now, having come home. He pulled some strings and managed to get in as a bottom-rung detective with the Fallcoast Police Department due to some favors he was owed and the like. Recently he went back through the academy to re-learn a lot of the skills he forgot.
After getting out of the police academy and getting his shooting back up and the like, he got assigned to the General Crimes squad as a detective. Jackson works everything from grand theft to homicide to fraud.
Jackson's known as 'Laughing Crow,' his deed name from when he originally was initiated into the Hunters in Darkness. Apparently the initiation rite revolved around chasing down some kind of crow-type spirit. In any case, he was given the name by some of the Elders of Portland, OR and it stuck, regardless of the story.
The silver Renown lines on his body indicate that he's focused more on Cunning and Purity than most Ithaeur would. According to local legend from the People in Portland, he and his pack, the Wardens of Helios (whose Totem was a Jaggling of the sun), were around when the Pure tried to do a full-on assault on the Uratha in Portland. PDX had always been pretty Uratha-friendly, considering its wealth of parks and the general 'leave it alone' policy that the city adopted toward nature. During this time, Jackson got captured and his pack was destroyed. The way it's told, the story is that he had created a fetish out of a small coat button and swallowed it. When he was taken by the Pure, he activated the Fetish, which broadcast his location to any Uratha in the area. Evidently, the Uratha beat back the Pure, since Portland's still moderately safe to visit for the Forsaken, but they lost a lot of the People. He wandered down to Los Angeles.
It's unclear when Jackson became a member of his Lodge. But no one really talks about those stories. Either way, he emerged from Los Angeles as a member of the Lodge of Ruin, which happened to be his father's Lodge. His father, likewise a Hunter in Darkness, but a Rahu, was pretty prominent in Fallcoast back in the late eighties and early nineties. He's since departed the city. According to rumor, he's living in upstate New York now.
Jackson's well known for his ability to make Fetishes. Ithaeur are typically good with Rites, but he seems to have focused the whole of his expertise with the Hisil on that aspect of his ability. He's considered Isib-Durume, a Shadowbinder.
the Murder, a pack focused on the spirit called Amdulim'Hala, the Death Crow. He acts as the spiritual center of his pack, speaking to Death Crow on behalf of the others, and ensuring that whatever they do is within the spirit's best interests. He works in accordance with his Alpha, Levi, to protect the pack's territory along with his fellow packmates.
Jackson is the Beta of
- Cop: Jackson is a member of FPD, a detective. Though, he's pretty bottom-rung when it comes to that; despite that, he's still focused on general law and order, and making sure that crimes are solved. Committing a crime? Jackson might be following up on your investigation!
- Crafter: Aside from being a Fetish-maker, he's also pretty good at building stuff with his hands. If you need something, just ask. He can make just about anything, but excels with woodwork. Nonetheless, he's rebuilt cars, done some blacksmithing, and is just generally good with tools.
- California: Jackson spent a good deal of time in LA.
- Portland, OR: Jackson went to college in Portland, at Reed College. He lived there for about six or seven years and had his First Change there. His old pack, the Wardens of Helios, were also a large part of Uratha society there.
- Outdoorsy: Jackson is a big fan of camping and other outdoorsman activities. Let's go camping!
- Tattoos: In order to pay his way through school, Jackson learned how to ink people up and went through his apprenticeship to eventually get his tattooing license in Oregon. He's since gotten his tattooing license in Maine and can do some good artwork on folks (Crafts ••••, Tattoos Specialty). Hit him up if you need some ink.
- Spirits: If you deal with spirits, Jackson's name may have been mentioned (Supernatural Esteem •). He's particularly well-known among the spirits of Fallcoast as fair and easy to deal with, and those who deal with spirits will learn that he often crafts Fetishes.
- Werewolf: Jackson's one of the People! Are you? If so, we should meet! He's currently got no pack!
- Lodge of Ruin: He's not dark and gloomy all the time. He just thinks that life and the world is a little absurd, almost to the point of humor. A joyful nihilist, as it were.
- Hunter In Darkness: He's one of the Meninna, perhaps a bit too focused on human civilization, but protects the wild lands in both human occupation and in his time among the People.
- Ithaeur: Born under a Crescent Moon and having undergone his First Change on the same moon cycle (waxing crescent), he's naturally attuned to the spirit world and has a good knowledge of the Hisil and its denizens. Also, like most Ithaeur, he's very strange and seems superstitious which can be chalked up to "the way you should act," if asked about his behavior.
- Fetishes: One of the key points of training that Jackson's gone through has been binding spirits to Fetishes to make objects of power. Due to being an Ithaeur, he's pretty good at convincing a spirit to inhabit a trinket.
- Ritemaster: Jackson's spent a great deal of his time learning Rites. He's useful to have around for a variety of occasions. Really not fighting, though. He's pretty shit at that unless it involves a gun.
- Uratha Family Ties: Jackson's father, Talon-of-Coyote (Matthias Wilkes), is an old school Mennina, in his mid-to-late fifties, and an Elder. Like his son, he's a Rust-Walker. Anyone who's traveled circles in New York would know of him. He lives up near Syracuse. Jackson's mother was sort of a side-girl for Matthias – a just-in-case scenario, and his father has a regular mate who gave him two more cubs: a half-brother by the name of Jon (an Elodoth), and a half-sister named Teresa (a Cahalith).
- Nadya – Wife, where I belong.
- Levi – Brother Crow, alpha.
- Roman – I'm glad we were able to bring you back, brother.
- Jon – My actual real-life brother that I don't know so well, but glad to have you close now.
- Teresa – My real-life sister. We haven't had a lot of time to talk, but I'm glad she's here.
- Gigi – The most amazing raven! Roman's mate. One of us, even if she can't officially be.
- Seraphine – Uragarum who knows the ways of spirits I've never known.
- Kaiden – A great kid, maybe needs some guidance, but a great kid.
- Deborah – Seems like how a Cahalith should be, really.
- Bernadette – My sister in Crow, and a wonderful woman.
- August – My partner and my friend, the Namer. Someone I trust to have my back at all times.
|| Hunters in Darkness
| Deed Name:
|| Laughing Crow (Gizulla'Hala)
| Mortal Nicknames:
|| Jay, Jacks, Jack, Jackie.
| Auspice Aspect:
|| Shadowbinder (Isib-Durume)
| Date of Birth:
|| 21 April, 1988
|| Lodge of Ruin
|| Police Detective
|| The Murder
Crafts (Tattoos) ••••
Occult (Spirits, Folk Magic) ••••
Survival (Tracking) ••
Sworn Officer (FPD - Detective) ••
Status (Law) ••
Supernatural Esteem (Spirits) •
Folk Magic (Braucherei) ••
Folk Magic (Repelling) •
• – Blood Ogham, Chiminage, Dedication, Fair Warning, Funeral Rite, Howl of Ownership, Ritual Mind, Shared Scent, Spirit Brand
•• – Banish Spirit, Call Gaffling, Spirit Hunt
••• – Bind Spirit, Bless the Union, Blood Communion of Spring, Rite of Healing, Rite of Initiation (Hunters in Darkness), Sacred Hunt, Wake the Spirit
•••• – Bone-Fires of Summer, Darkest Night of Winter, Fetish Rite, Luna's Warding Curse, Shadow Play, Spirit Lamps of Autumn
••••• – Bringing Down the Shadow, Rending the Gauntlet
Aenima - Tool
- Some say a comet will fall from the sky.
- Followed by meteor showers and tidal waves.
- Followed by fault lines that cannot sit still.
- Followed by millions of dumbfounded dip shits.
- Some say the end is near.
- Some say we'll see Armageddon soon.
- I certainly hope we will because
- I sure could use a vacation from this
- stupid shit, silly shit, stupid shit...
- One great big festering neon distraction,
- I've a suggestion to keep you all occupied:
- learn to swim.
Said The King To The River - La Dispute
- "Rise," said the king to the river!
- "Never let up!
- No, bring us a flood and bring it hard!"
- "Freeze," said the wind to the water,
- "Never give in;
- no, build us a bridge,
- and build it strong and angry.
- Let it still the king's decrees.
- You must contemplate the current,
- and command that coward cease."
The Angry River - The Hat
- The awful cost of all we lost
- as we looked the other way.
- We've paid the price of this cruel device
- till we've nothing left to pay.
- The river goes where the current flows;
- the light we must destroy.
- Events conspire to set afire
- the methods we employ.
- These dead men walk on water,
- cold blood runs through their veins;
- the angry river rises
- as we step into the rain.
Our Lives Would Make A Sad, Boring Movie - The Hotelier
- If there's one thing in your life that you'll never forget,
- it's that we're dead in the future
- but we're not dead yet.
- Your life starts right now
- so start acting like it,
- or else you'll wake up one day
- feeling like a silhouette.
Burn - Cody Crump
- As we watch this world burn,
- a simple truth, so hard to learn.
- When things go wrong, it's hard to see
- it's not just you, but also me.
- I will burn this world to the ground.
- I will burn it all down.
- Some men find creation in destruction;
- others just want to watch the world burn.
My Least Favorite Life - Lera Lynn
- The station pulls away from the train;
- the blue pulls away from the sky;
- the whisper of two broken wings;
- maybe they’re yours, maybe they’re mine.
- This is my least favorite life,
- the one where I am out of my mind.
Sedated - Hozier
- I keep catching little words but the meaning's thin.
- I'm somewhere outside my life, babe,
- I keep scratching but somehow I can't get in.
- So we're slaves to any semblance of touch.
- Lord, we should quit, but we love it too much.
- Sedated - we're nursing on a poison that never stung;
- our teeth and lungs are lined with the scum of it.