Established in the 16th Century, the Malleus Maleficarum (The Hammer of the Witches) is the Roman Catholic Church’s secret monster hunting group. To most onlookers its members are just another priest, nun or lay worker of the Church. To most of the Catholic Church they are the same. What they really do is very much on a ‘need-to-know’ basis.
The MM are dedicated to God, their powers coming through meditative prayer that puts them in touch with the divine, and their day to day actions reflect that piety. They are unafraid to kill what needs to be killed as it is not murder but divine retribution. But they also follow a forgiving God so death is not the only alternative. The MM are well funded by the Church – miscellaneous expenses are an accountant’s best friend – but most live a life of poverty and sanctity.
Playing the Malleus Maleficarum
- The MM has both ordained and lay members. You do not have to be a priest or nun to be an MM but you must be willing to work with, and obey, the Roman Catholic Church.
- If you are ordained, or a nun, then you are especially holy versions to selected for the MM so please act like it. No seducing innocents. No rampant murder. No using the Lord’s name in vain.
- If an ordained, or nun, member is found to be lacking in faith and behaviour then they will be expelled. If you wish to return, even as a lay member, then expect some form of penance for your sins. Continual failures of character will result in permanent expulsion.
- Lay members may have families and live ‘normal’ lives but they should still have a high moral character. They do not need to be obnoxious and superior with it (pride is a sin after all) but they shouldn’t be hanging out at strip clubs or gambling dens for recreation. Being at one of those places undercover is another thing entirely.
- Though the MM were created to fight vampires and Satanic forces, in this MUSH environment they are quite capable of going after worse things. Remember that Hunters are not here to annoy other players and it is not a PK sphere.
- It takes eight years post high school to become an ordained priest. Four of those can be at a university (as long as you do a relevant degree) otherwise it is all eight in a Seminary. This means that priest PCs should be at least 25 years of age.
- It takes around there years to become an ordained nun. Therefore nun PCs should be at least 20 years of age.
The Malleus Maleficarum IC
Becoming an MM
PCs who wish to become an MM should be religiously inclined and be considered acceptable to know the deepest secrets of the Catholic Church. If you have a criminal record this may make things difficult - but not impossible. Possible recruits will be assessed before the offer is made so Becomings should include this aspect - though it does not have to be the main focus of a scene and PCs may not even be aware it is happening.
If the PC is not already a priest or nun then it will take an event of momentous significance to waive the education requirements. Most PCs will Become MM as lay members. They may work towards ordination if they wish but it is not necessary.
Father Black (NPC) will make the final offer of recruitment to a potential member so the Becoming should include interaction with him.
Theme from Suspiria
Benediction – see Endowments for details
Conspiracies do not allow any Mortal+.
IMPORTANT: To be a member of a faction you must have at least one dot in the skill that the specialty applies to. People in that faction automatically get the relevant specialty because all of their operatives are expected to need it through the work they do. Therefore, since you cannot have a specialty without a dot in the skill attached, PCs should have the relevant skill when selecting a faction.
| Order of St. Longinus
|| Vampire hunters for Jesus, Catholic style.
| Order of St. Ambrose
|| Inquisition tech support. Father Q, at your service.
| Brotherhood of St. Athanasius
|| Little Father Fufu hopping through the forest, picking up the monsters and BOOM. They're dead.
Add [[Category:Malleus Maleficarum]] to your page to show up here.
Active Malleus Maleficarum
Inactive Malleus Maleficarum
Dead Malleus Maleficarum
NPC Malleus Maleficarum
Add [[Hunter/Malleus Maleficarum]] to your log for it to show up here.